Top 10 Foods to Boost Your Mood
” You Feel What You Eat “
Food can change your mood because emotions are just chemical reactions and so whatever can affect these reactions can affect your mood. Food can boost your brain chemistry and so affect your emotions in turn, knowing what food regulates your mood could help you in living a happier and better life.
Start your day with these foods to boost your mood:
1. Milk is rich in calcium and the amino acid tryptophan. Beyond its bone-building properties, calcium is known to calm nerves when feeling stressed or anxious. Tryptophan is important for producing serotonin, which elevates mood.
2. Chocolate. Research has shown cocoa beans to be rich in a variety of mood-lifting ingredients. These chemicals are most concentrated in dark chocolate, which is why it is recommended over the milk or white varieties.
Dark chocolate is high in polyphenols, which are shown to improve cognitive function, said Pratt. Chocolate also contains phenylethylamines, a neurotransmitter that, in low levels, is associated with depression and in high levels can be associated with schizophrenia. Phenylethylamines work by releasing endorphins in the brain and promote feelings of attraction and giddiness.
3. Alcohol. While wine, beer, or hard liquor may initially raise spirits, alcohol is actually a depressant.
A small quantity of alcohol can have calming, sedative effects. However, while a glass of red wine with dinner may have a soothing effect after a hard day at work, downing martinis or scotch will do the opposite.
Alcohol will help you go to sleep, but you will wake up rapidly when the alcohol is converted to sugar in the body. Sleep disruption can contribute to feeling tired, anxious, and depressed.
4. Spinach is a potent green. Part of the family that includes kale and chard, spinach is a rich source of several minerals that are good for anxiety and depression. Spinach contains magnesium, a mineral with relaxing and calming effects. Green leafy vegetables are also high in folic acid, low levels of which have been linked to depression in several studies.
5. Brazil Nuts. Brazil nuts, native to South America, are rich in the mineral selenium. Though scientists are not certain of the mechanism, selenium is essential for maintaining a good mood and getting enough selenium may prevent depression.
6. Carbs. Eat a diet that emphasizes carbohydrates. Meals that are especially rich in carbs have been associated with a calming, relaxing effect. Carbohydrate rich foods allow the amino acid tryptophan to enter the brain where it is then used to make serotonin. Feel-good food choices include pasta, breads, grains, cereals, fruits, and juices.
7. Coffee can boost mood on many levels. In the morning, the aroma of a rich Columbian roast can be enough to make you feel more alert. After two cups, the mind is alert, the eyes are bright, and the tail is bushy. Of course, the sensory effects of coffee, and other warm beverages, like tea or cocoa, can lift your spirits. However, the caffeine is the key ingredient when it comes to how a cup of java can affect your mood. The chemical can induce feelings of happiness and euphoria.
8. Fish. Aim to eat fish three times a week or more. Researchers found that people who ate fish less than once a week had a 31 per cent higher incidence of mild to moderate depression than people who ate fish more often. Albacore tuna, salmon, sardines, and mackerel are top choices. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential to normal brain function, and may influence serotonin production.
9. Turkey. Tryptophan is founded in turkey and other animal products; this amino acid is needed to make the mood-critical neurotransmitter serotonin. Research indicates that tryptophan can help induce sleep, and may play a role in treating certain types of depression.
10. Fruits and Vegetables: both fruits and vegetables contains fibers that helps in better digestion and in balancing the mood, your diet must contain fruits and vegetables in order for it to be a healthy diet
Documentary source: http://abcnews.go.com
Incoming search terms:
- super foods to boost your mood
- Foods that Boost Your Mood
- foods that boost mood
- mood boosting super foods 10 best
- boost the mood
- good mood development
- 10 top foods to boost mood
- mood-building foods
- good mood ) excellent life)
- 20 foods to boost mood