The Left-Handed Advantages and Disadvantages
Only about 5% to 30% of people in the world are left-handed. Then again, as many lefties might point out, being left-handed can also offer intellectual prowess. Tests conducted by Alan Searleman from St Lawrence University in New York found there were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people. Famous left-handed thinkers in history from Albert Einstein to Isaac Newton to Benjamin Franklin seem to underline the point.
As Hopkins says, it may be that left-handed people occupy the extremes when it comes to health and ability.
“The anomaly is left-handed people make up the extremely gifted and the extremely compromised,” said Hopkins. “The rest of us make up the middle ground.”
– Lefties Have an Advantage in Some Sports Although lefties usually have to learn how to use sports equipment differently than right-handed people, they also have advantages. For example, many one-on-one sports (where players face each other) work to the advantage of lefties. That’s because a left-handed fencer (as well as a lefty ping-pong or tennis player) is more accustomed to playing against right handed opponents, whereas the right-handed player is more awkward when facing a lefty contender
– Advantages in Learning. A study shows that links between the left and right sides of the brain run faster in left-handed people than in right- handers. Therefore, this rapid transport of data makes lefties better at being mul- ti-tasked than right-handed people.
The disadvantages of being left handed:
– disadvantage: smudges when you write. This is especially difficult when you are using a scantron or something that smudges will destroy. you’ll have to waste time erasing all your smudges.
– disadvantage: it is very hard to use scissors and if you do learn it HURTS if you use them for too long
– disadvantage: if you go to a resturaunt and sit on the right of a right handed person you will
– disadvantages: things like knives and heavy machinary is more dangerous because those things are built for right-handers. you may get hurt