All about Sunbathing and Sun Exposure during Pregnancy
Protecting your body from the high temperature and harmful radiation of the sun is very important, regardless of age or gender and health condition. But, when pregnant, you need to take extra care, as you have the important duty of protecting the health and safety of your unborn child.
So as a safety measure, try to avoid intense or prolonged contact to UV light around the time you conceive and in early pregnancy. You should also take folic acid supplements during your first trimester.
Here are a few tips for a safety sunbathing:
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen of at least SPF 30 can help to prevent burning. Also a good reminder is to reapply every 2 hours for maximum protection.
- Hydration, Drink Up: Adequate fluid intake is vital to ensuring an appropriate amount of hydration during pregnancy. In humid or hot weather, additional fluids are necessary to make up for fluid lost through sweat — so sip cold water consistently when sunbathing.
- Hat and Sunglasses: Wearing a large brimmed hat and sunglasses while outdoors will help reduce the exposure to the UV rays. The large hat will provide protection to the face, shoulders and neck area. Sunglasses can help to reduce the damage to the eyes.
- Stay away from the sun between 10am and 4pm: Between 10am and 4pm, the suns rays are at their strongest. It is best to try to refrain from being exposed for any length of time between these hours.
- Expect Weird Tan Lines: Exposing the linea nigra, the line on the belly, to sun will result in a darker line. Women experiencing the mask of pregnancy/chloasma should stay out of the sun, because it will worsen the skin condition.
If you desperately want to be skin-brown then it’s greatly safer to use fake tanning lotions – and much easier as well! If you decide to take this option, do a patch test first, even if it’s a lotion you have used before. Your skin may be more sensitive during pregnancy and therefore more prone to irritation than typical.
Incoming search terms:
- pregnant women sunbathing